In today’s world full of digital information, e-books and the internet, is there still a reason to visit your college library?
The answer is “YES.” We would argue that saying you don’t need a library because you have the internet is like saying you don’t need a math class because you have a calculator.
- Students who use library resources and services tend to have higher GPAs. Several research studies have found significant correlations between students’ use of academic libraries and positive changes in GPA.
- Library staff can help you select or narrow a research topic, find relevant and credible information, use online research databases, evaluate information found on the internet, and cite sources appropriately. All you must do is ask! One-on-one or small group research appointments are available in person at the Springfield and Richwood Valley campuses, and online via Zoom.
- The library has books and e-books on all sorts of topics!Need a study guide for algebra? A book on parenting or managing your personal finances? Interested in taking up a new hobby, like cooking or jewelry-making? Just want to read some fiction for fun? You can find all these, and more, at the libraries.
- Are you more of a visual learner? You’ll be glad to know that the library has a streaming video collection that includes documentaries on everything from ancient history to engine repair. You can also borrow award-winning movies and classic films.
- Working on a team project? Need a spot for a group study session? Small group study rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis at both the Springfield and Richwood Valley campuses.
Oh, and we almost left out the best part. All these library resources are FREE. So don’t waste any time this semester ─ we’ll see you soon at one of OTC’s libraries!