By Steve Koehler
While the Ozarks is in the throes of summer, Ozarks Technical Community College is already looking at the fall with the admission and registration in full swing.
For those coming to OTC for the first time, the whole thing can be a bit intimidating whether you’re right out of high school or haven’t been in a classroom for years.
“We can help students with learning to use computers, tutoring and classes that will get them back into the swing of things,” said Vicki MacDonald, director of recruitment and enrollment management.
It’s worthy noting that there’s a difference between admission and registration. You can’t register for classes until you are admitted so don’t expect to walk in one day and be able just sign up for classes.
But here is a roadmap to help you through the process that’s the same at all of our five campuses and education centers.
Before coming to campus:
• Have your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form completed and processed. It’s available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov/. That’s the free site. There are other sites with similar names that will charge you to fill out the form for you.
• Go to www.otc.edu and fill out the online application. You should get an acceptance letter in about a week.
• Have your college, high school or GED transcripts sent to the OTC admission department.
When you come to campus:
• Bring a photo ID. You don’t need to bring a check or credit card. Payment is not required when you register.
• If you haven’t taken the ACT or if the test is more than two years old, you will have to take a COMPAS test free of charge to help place you in the correct general education courses.
• You will work with an advisor to pick out classes. If you want, you can receive career counseling by appointment on a different visit to OTC.
• Finally, you can sign up for classes, either in person or online.
Classes being Aug. 20 and the admission/registration process is taking place now. Detailed information is available at http://www.otc.edu/students/
Steve Koehler is coordinator of publications at Ozarks Technical Community College.
College Director of Communication
Coordinator of Public Information